Nicole Richie tied the knot with longtime love (and the father of her two children) Joel Madden Saturday evening at her dad Lionel Richie’s Beverly Hills estate, and it was anything but your standard wedding-in-a-chapel ceremony.
RELATED: Good nuptials: Nicole Richie and Joel Madden get married
• The elephant-at-the-wedding rumors are true: When E! News cameras caught a glimpse of a giant elephant stomping its way towards Lionel Richie’s estate, we weren’t sure what to make of it. While we doubt Nicole rode the big guy in the ceremony, a source tells E! News that Nicole really likes elephants and Lionel wanted to make sure he had one ready for her big day. “Nicole has always been obsessed with elephants. Lionel wanted to surprise her,” the source said. We’re betting he did.
• Nicole is the ultimate daddy’s girl: Not only did the fashion-forward socialite walk down the aisle to her father’s 1986 hit song “Ballerina Girl” (which he famously wrote for her back in the day), but the famed music superstar sang the hit “You Are” to the newlyweds at the reception.
• The couple’s wedding was an ultra-classy affair: Nicole’s hubby let go of the whole rocker vibe for the couple’s wedding day events, opting for nuptials that were “super fancy, not rock n roll at all,” according to a source. People reported that the couple wanted “an Old Hollywood, glamorous feel to their wedding,” and kept the event relatively small with only about 130 people in attendance.
• The wedding party and guest list were totally star studded: While Run-DMC’s Rev Run officiated the ceremony, Samantha Ronson reportedly was a bridesmaid, Joel’s twin and Good Charlotte bandmate Benji Madden served as the best man and the couple’s daughter Harlow was the flower girl. As for the big names in attendance, Gwen Stefani, Gavin Rossdale, Kris Jenner, Khloé Kardashian Odom, Rachel Zoe, Ellen Pompeo and Pete Wentz watched the couple say “I do.” Prior to the wedding, Khloé tweeted “I love weddings!!!!!”
• There was nothing ordinary about Nicole’s dress: Ever the style maven, Nicole reportedly shied away from a typical princess gown and opted for bridal duds that were reminiscent of her own funky chic aethestic instead. “She wore a turtleneck lace dress, ’80s style” a source told E! News. Reportedly, that gown was a custom-made Marchesa gown that was designed for her in New York.